The State of Andhra Pradesh was formed in 1956 by the merger of the Andhra State which was formed in year 1953(By Dividing Madras State) and the Telangana area of the Hyderabad State which was acceded by Govt. of India on 17 Sep 1948 from Nizam


The High Court stands on the south bank of the River Musi. This is one of the finest buildings in the city, built in red and white stones in Saracenic style, by Nizam VII Mir Osman Ali Khan the ruler of the princely state of Hyderabad

The Plan of the High Court was drawn up by Shankar Lal of Jaipur and the local engineer who executed the design was Mehar Ali Fazil. The construction started on 15 April 1915 and was completed on 31 March 1919. On 20 April 1920 the High Court building was inaugurated by Nizam VII Mir Osman Ali Khan.

While digging the foundation for the High Court, ruins of the Qutb Shahi Palaces, namely Hina Mahal and Nadi Mahal were unearthed. The High Court looks beautiful and impressive from the Naya Pul Bridge at sunset.

The main building of the High Court was constructed in the year 1919 by the then Nizam’s Government accommodating Six Judges besides accommodation for the Office Staff, record rooms and Advocates’ Hall.

As the number of cases increased, the strength of Judges, Staff and Advocates and Law Officers had also risen. To provide for additional court halls, Annexe buildings were constructed now termed as “A” block and “B” block. Each block has 8 court halls and 8 chambers for the Hon’ble Judges.The A.P. Administrative Tribunal also was initially located in the same building.

Andhra Pradesh High Court was located in Justice City at Nelapadu, a neighbourhood of Amaravati.It is located at a distance of 6.4 km from the Krishna river.


The A.P.High Court Advocates Association was formed in 1956 upon merger of Hyderabad High Court Advocates Association and Andhra High Court Advocates Association consequent on formation of State of Andhra Pradesh.

Our first President was Late Sri.D.Narasa Raju who was the first Advocate General of our state and also the first Chairman, Bar Council of Andhra Pradesh. Many luminaries succeeded as Presidents of our bar Association. In 1979-80, then Hon’ble Chief Justice Kondaiah on a request made by the association readily surrendered a court hall to enable Association to house its Library and also allotted two rooms for Advocates Canteen. The Library was later shifted to cellar portion of “A” block during the tenure of Hon’ble Chief Justice M.S.Liberan. During the tenure of Hon’ble Chief Justice Sri Devender Gupta, the advocates canteen was renovated and a water plant was set-up for supply of clean and purified water.

After the fire accident on 31.8.2009, the Association was temporarily shifted to the ground floor in the Registry building. The renovation of central block main building and the association hall took nearly two years and the same was inaugurated on 13.10.2011 by then Hon’ble Chief Justice Sri.Nisar Ahmed Kakru.

Sources: wikipedia and article of R.Venugopal Reddy,Advocate published in the silver jubilee book of High Court of A.P

– By Secretary,
AP High Court